Check us out each month for info you can use as you search for, apply for and look to succeed in college. If you like what you see, be sure to sign up for our Ready, Set, Win e-newsletter!
Campus Visit Tips - Questions to Ask, Places to See
When you take the time to visit a college campus, you want to maximize the experience. To help, we've suggested some things "to ask" and "to do" in a variety of categories.
Academic Program Information
- Does my major have special admissions requirements, separate from the college’s general requirements?
- How successful are graduates from this program?
- Are internships available? Mentors?
- Visit the classroom building/facilities where your major courses will be held.
- Meet a faculty member, the academic advisor or a current student from your major.
- Are there any special scholarships I qualify for based on my accomplishments, interests or activities?
- What percentage of your students receive some kind of financial assistance?
- Any financial deadlines I should be aware of?
- What are the opportunities for on-campus employment?
- Meet with a financial aid advisor. Try to get estimated aid for students like you and clear sense of next steps.
Campus Life and Support
- What is student housing like? What options exist?
- What are transportation options to campus (train, bus, plane, etc.)?
- Can I have a car on campus? What is parking like and what does it cost?
- What amenities and services do you have on campus (ex. Fitness Center, health care, tutoring)?
- What do students do for fun on and off campus (ex. clubs, campus activities and events, etc.)?
- Eat a meal at the dining hall to sample the food.
- Spend a night in a residence hall.
- Try to explore the area around campus to see if there are restaurants, shops and other entertainment options - or even a good option for off-campus employment!
More Tips — Delivered to Your Inbox
Check out "Ready, Set, Win," the e-newsletter designed to give you all you need to know about the college enrollment process — no matter where you want to go. And be sure to hit the subscribe button in the upper left corner to get it delivered to your inbox each month!