Our namesake scholarship honors Dr. Lucile Gustafson
Dr. Lucile Gustafson was a member of Waubonsee's original Board of Trustees. The Gustafson Scholarship program was established in recognition of her outstanding contributions to education and to the college. Recipients are selected from in-district high schools based on scholastic achievement, leadership and citizenship characteristics.
2021 Gustafson Recognition
The application process for the Lucile Gustafson Scholarship is conducted through local high school counseling offices. Forms are available from and must be submitted to the student's high school guidance counselor. The application deadline for the 2021 Gustafson Scholarship has passed. Applications for the 2022 scholarship will be available from your high school guidance counselor in November 2021.
The Gustafson Scholarship covers the full cost of tuition for two academic years. Activity and service fees are also covered, but lab fees and textbooks are not.
- The student nominee must be nominated by a member of the high school counseling department.
- The nominee must be a high school senior who attends a Waubonsee Community College in-district school or vocational center and who is an in-district resident.
- The nominee must meet two of the following criteria:
- Rank in the upper 20 percent of the graduating class
- 3.0 or higher GPA
- 23 or higher ACT score OR 1140 or higher SAT score
- The nominee must demonstrate leadership qualities through community or school involvement and citizenship characteristics.
- The scholarship recipient must maintain full-time status (minimum 12 credit hours per semester) during the fall and spring semesters. The scholarship recipient may enroll during the summer semester, less than full-time or not at all, if desired.
- The scholarship recipient must maintain a 2.5 cumulative grade point average.
- The scholarship recipient must complete at least 24 credit hours by the end of the freshman year and 36 credit hours following the fall semester of the sophomore year.
- The Gustafson Scholar is required to perform a minimum of 20 hours of service per semester. Scholars will receive assistance in finding activities and events.
- Recipients must complete a Leadership Studies course with a grade of C or better during their freshman year.
- Recipients must attend all scheduled leadership seminars in any given semester.
- Recipients must remain in-district residents for the duration of their scholarship.
- Failure to meet any of the requirements may result in termination of the scholarship.
Each Waubonsee-district high school is eligible to receive one scholarship for every 100 students in the current graduating class. The high school guidance staff should nominate the appropriate number of applicants, plus one nominee.
Indian Valley Vocational Center and Fox Valley Career Center receive 1 scholarship, but we will accept 2 nominees.
All candidates will be interviewed. Scholarship recipients will be selected based upon the recommendations of the Waubonsee Scholarship Committee.
Selected students will be required to participate in a variety of events.
- Complete Assessment Testing if needed
- Complete Pre-Registration Review (PRR) tutorial online through the mywcc portal
- Upon finishing PRR, make an appointment with an Admissions Advisor to plan your schedule. Appointments are highly recommended. Note that assessment and PRR must be completed prior to your appointment
- Gustafson Scholarship overview session (April)
- Meet with an Admissions Advisor to plan your schedule. Appointments are highly recommended. Note that assessment and E-RAP must be completed prior to your appointment.
- Gustafson Recognition Event (May)