Making the Most of Career Fairs to Meet Employers
Attending a career fair or one of our on-campus recruiting events means you can connect face-to-face with hiring managers—a rarity in today’s digital recruiting environment.
Make the most of this opportunity by dressing professionally, researching employers ahead of time, and having a well-organized and carefully crafted resume.
- Research the employers who will be attending. Learn about their products, services and employment needs. Have some questions prepared to ask employers about the position, the training, the company, etc.
- Bring plenty of résumés.
- Be prepared to talk to employers about who you are, what kind of position you are looking for, and what skills and experiences you have to offer them.
- Dress professionally. Treat this event as a formal interviewing opportunity.
- SMILE! Show your enthusiasm with a firm handshake and good eye contact.
- Network with other attendees to get acquainted with other job seekers.
- Plan to attend any workshops provided before and during the fair.
- Do NOT bring children. Employers may doubt your ability to make adequate child care arrangements when you are employed.
- Write a follow-up letter to each recruiter who had positions for which you are qualified and interested in. Remind them that you met at the career fair and reiterate your qualifications and interest in the position you discussed.
If you're looking to offer internships/jobs to Waubonsee students, check out our information for employers.