Dr. Christine J. Sobek became the fourth president of Waubonsee Community College on July 1, 2001. In this role, she is responsible for the overall leadership of the college - which serves more than 14,000 credit students each year. More than 1,100 employees provide educational programs and services at a network of four permanent campuses located across the 624-square-mile college district and through extensive virtual and online classes and services.
Dr. Sobek has more than 40 years of community college administrative experience. Prior to her appointment as president, Dr. Sobek served in several administrative roles at Waubonsee, including provost from 2000-2001; executive vice president for Educational Affairs from 1997-2000; assistant vice president for Instruction from 1993-1997; assistant vice president for Student Development from 1991-1993; and dean of Student Development from 1989-1991.
Dr. Sobek joined Waubonsee in 1989 after 11 years of employment at the College of Lake County in Grayslake, Illinois. Her leadership roles at that college included executive assistant to the President; Director of Personnel, Affirmative Action officer; and director of Placement.
In addition, Dr. Sobek’s experience includes service as an adjunct faculty member at Trinity College, Deerfield, Illinois from 1985-1989 and as an assistant director of Student Affairs at Lyman Briggs Residential College at Michigan State University.
Dr. Sobek earned a doctoral degree from Northern Illinois University, a master's degree from Michigan State University, and a bachelor's degree, with Highest Distinction, from Purdue University. She is a member of Phi Beta Kappa and an honorary member of Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society.
- Crain's Chicago Business Chicago's Notable Women in Education 2018
- Quad County Urban League, Woman of Power Award, 2018
- Northern Illinois University Outstanding Alumni Award
- Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society Shirley B. Gordon Award of Distinction
- The Business Ledger Influential Women in Business Award
- Michigan State University College of Education Alumni Association Distinguished Alumni Award
- Illinois Community College Trustees Association Advocacy Award
- National Council of Marketing and Public Relations District 3 Pacesetter of the Year Award
- American Association of Community Colleges Emerging Leadership Award national finalist