Transferring - How It Works

The Waubonsee Community College Counseling, Advising and Transfer Center is committed to making your transfer process effortless. Complete your first two years at Waubonsee, and then build on that solid educational foundation at the four-year school of your choice.

Earning an Associate in Arts (AA) or Associate in Science (AS) degree at Waubonsee is a great way to start your higher educational path and put yourself in a position to move on to a bachelor's degree. The coursework for the AA and AS degrees is designed to transfer and consists of both general education courses and electives in a major field. If you need help choosing electives to help you prepare for a certain major at a four-year school, check out our suggested transfer degree areas of concentration.

These degrees allow you to enter most four-year schools as a junior, but you must work closely with counselors and advisors from both Waubonsee and your chosen four-year school. The decision to accept credit rests with the transfer school. You must meet all the requirements of the school, academic department and major field of study you transfer to.

Waubonsee also offers three other specialty transfer degrees — Associate in Engineering Science, Associate in Fine Arts - Art, and Associate of Fine Arts - Music Performance — that are more specific and require extensive academic advising from our Counseling, Advising and Transfer Center.

While Waubonsee credits can transfer to almost any school, we have special articulation agreements with certain schools and programs to make transferring credits even easier.

Steps to Transferring

A great first step is to meet with our professionally trained staff at the Counseling, Advising and Transfer Center. We can provide

  • Transfer/articulation fact sheets
  • Catalogs, applications and scholarship info from many colleges
  • Access to information on more than 2,000 schools using the Internet
  • Events like College Night in October, trips to local schools and campus visits by college representatives
  • Advisors to help you plan your program of studies and make a smooth transition

First Semester

Second Semester

  • Check with your counselor
  • Consult with college representatives
  • Choose a major field of study
  • Narrow down choice of transfer school
  • Fulfill general education requirements of the transfer school
  • Learn GPA and other requirements of transfer school

Third Semester

  • Apply to chosen transfer school(s)
  • Send Waubonsee transcript
  • Explore student housing and financial aid at transfer schools
  • Arrange for program review, then petition to graduate

Fourth Semester

  • Register early for your classes so you can complete your studies
  • Apply for financial aid and housing at transfer school
  • Graduate from Waubonsee.
  • Arrange for Waubonsee to send final transcript to your chosen school
  • Celebrate! You're on your way to a bachelor's degree!

Transfer Information from Other Schools
To get more information about the admissions process and transfer guidelines at select Illinois colleges and universities, visit the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) website. IAI courses are noted in both the college catalog and semester credit schedules.

Transferology also has information about course equivalencies in Illinois and a handful of other states. To view college catalogs from schools all over the country, visit


  • Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) — an agreement community colleges have with four-year universities and colleges in the state to assist in the transferring of your credits.
  • Limited Admissions Program — admission into certain majors, emphases, and areas of study is based on additional criteria. Students planning to pursue these courses of study must fulfill additional requirements such as GPA, specific coursework, and supplementary documents. Other requirements may need to be fulfilled depending on the program and choice of transfer institution.
  • Articulation Guides — a tool to aid the student in recognizing how credit transfers to a four-year institution.
  • Transferology — provides prospective students and their advisors direct access to information about course equivalencies, programs, courses and degree audits in a Web environment.