Surgical Technology Program Admission
The surgical technology program is offered in a full-time (three semester) sequence. Students seeking admission to the surgical technology program are required to:
- Meet with Counseling to establish a schedule for taking program courses.
- Obtain specific admission information by contacting the Dean for Health Professions and Public Service.
- Complete the Surgical Technology Program Application required for entry into the program. Enrollment is limited in the surgical technology (SUR) courses in order to provide the best possible educational experience for students. Students desiring to take courses with the SUR prefix in the fall must make application by April 1.
- Complete required Pre-Admission Exam-RN (PAX-RN) and Nelson Denny (ND) assessment. Note: Acceptance into the program is based on assessment results, with documentation of verbal, math and science of 50 percent for the PAX-RN, as well as a composite of 60 percent for the PAX-RN, and comprehension and vocabulary skills at the 10th grade level for the ND.
A student has two opportunities to successfully meet assessment requirements. Eight weeks must elapse between testing sessions for the Nelson Denny assessment and six months for the PAX-RN assessment.
- Understand that the surgical technology application, previous transcripts, and program assessment testing in math and reading are required for admission to the program. Students are notified via mail approximately four weeks after the application deadline date as to selection status.
- Provide documentation of current American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers (CPR) certification. This certification must remain current for the entire length of the program.
- Follow the program sequence once a student is accepted into the program. The student is expected to follow the program sequence for all SUR courses. Students may opt to complete any or all of the BIO, COM or HIT courses prior to submitting an application to the surgical technology program. For continuation in the surgical technology program, a 2.0 or better GPA must be received in each of the major courses. NOTE: SUR courses are offered on a limited basis during the year. Please contact Health Professions and Public Service for specific course information.
- Submit documentation of a physical examination, immunization, Hepatitis-B series, and 2-step tuberculosis (TB) test upon acceptance into the program.
In addition to tuition and regular fees, the surgical technology student has the following minimum fees and expenses:
|Textbooks for SUR courses
(does NOT include general ed courses)
|White shoes, lab coat, patch||$75|
|Physical exam, immunizations,
Hepatitis-B series, TB testing
|per health care
|Total Estimated Costs
(excluding medical requirements)
Note: These fees and expenses are approximate costs and are subject to change without prior notice to the student.