When you're ready to transition to civilian life, Waubonsee is ready to help you find success in college and in your career. We're proud to serve those students who have served our country, and we'll do everything we can to streamline the process, start you on the right foot and support your endeavors every step of the way.

Getting Started At Waubonsee as a Veteran

Veterans can follow our guide to Getting Started, although those veterans who wish to gain college credit for their military experience will have a few additional steps. For assistance with all aspects of the process, including benefit and referral information, contact the Counseling Office.

Earning Credit for Your Experience

Military Basic Training
Military Soldiers Sunset

Veterans may be granted a total of 4 semester hours of credit as a result of their basic training. Those who apply may obtain credit for health education (3) and physical education (1).

Along with Waubonsee's Request for Evaluation (pdf) form, you must also submit a copy of VA Form DD214, a Separation Record or Certificate of Completion. You can request these from the National Archives.

Military Occupation Training
Photo of military members in a classroom

Veterans may be granted credit as a result of their military training. Training that is not the equal of a Waubonsee Community College course cannot be granted credit. Submit a Waubonsee evaluation form (pdf) only if you think your training would apply to your degree.

A copy of the Joint Services Transcript (JST) or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript must accompany the evaluation request.

Other Experience & Training
Photo of soldier shooting

Students wanting to transfer credit from another college or university and if you are using federal VA education benefits you are required to complete Waubonsee's Transcript Evaluation Request Form (TERF). An official copy of your transcript must be on file to process the evaluation. The Financial Aid Office will certify one semester without an official review of prior college credit.

Earn a qualifying score on a CLEP exam and earn college credit without taking the course. If you are an eligible veteran, you can receive full reimbursement for a CLEP exam and administration fees from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Visit the CLEP website for more information.

Veterans Day with Student Near Poster 2014
Military Friendly® School

Recognized by G.I. Jobs

We're proud of our status as a Military Friendly® School. We've received the honor every year since 2012 from "G.I. Jobs" magazine, who recognizes the top 20 percent of U.S. colleges, universities and trade schools doing the most to embrace service members and veterans as students.

More Information

Veterans Service Handbook


There are many resources available to veterans at Waubonsee. Learn more about them in our Veterans Services Handbook

Veterans Service Checklist


There are many steps to getting the education benefits and services that come with military service. Use our checklist to ensure you don't miss anything.  

Family Members


There are also education benefits for family members. Learn more about them here

We are always here to help

Contact the veterans advisors for assistance. 

For general questions...

Heather Watson
Counseling/Veterans Advisor
Sugar Grove Campus
Student Center, Ste 262
(630) 466-2091

If your last name begins with A-M...

Allison Guziec
Financial Aid Advisor
Sugar Grove Campus
Student Center, Room 244
(630) 466-2902

If your last name begins with N-Z...

Andrea Wheeler
Financial Aid Veterans Coordinator
Sugar Grove Campus
Student Center, Room 246
(630) 466-2797