Academic Advising

Academic advising services can help you choose a major, understand the transfer process or select your next semester of courses.

Academic Advising and Planning
Course selection for current and future semesters and other activities to assist students in achieving their goals.

Academic Probation 
All students who earn a cumulative grade point average below 2.0 are automatically placed on academic probation and remain on it until their cumulative grade point average is equal to 2.0 or higher. There are three progressive stages of academic probation: (1) academic caution, (2) academic warning and (3) academic restriction. A registration hold is placed at each stage until the student completes the prescribed intervention. Students avoid progressing to the next stage of academic probation if they earn a semester GPA of 2.0 or above. 

Appointments are required for transcript evaluation or career counseling or interpretations. Appointments are recommended for all other services, but walk-ins are welcome.

All new full-time students must complete placement testing in English, reading, and math to determine appropriate course work. Any part-time student intending to enroll in an English or math class must also receive proper course placement.

Choosing a Major
Counselors offer many career planning activities to help students explore their future career options. Waubonsee offers both transfer programs leading to baccalaureate degrees and occupational programs that prepare you for employment.

College Credit for Prior Experience
Counselors and advisors can discuss the possibility of applying for college credit from alternative sources toward the completion of your Waubonsee degree. See "Recording Credit at Waubonsee" for more information.

Graduation - Degree and Certificate Completion
Degree Audit: Students can track their progress toward a certificate or degree by using the "Degree Audit" tool in MYWCC. Select the "Student" tab; in the "Self-Service Quick Links" box, choose "Student Services" and then "Student Records" and "Degree Audit". This is an unofficial audit and should be reviewed with a counselor.

Applying for an Associate Degree: Intent to Graduate forms should be submitted early in the semester before you expect to complete your degree to ensure you will meet all the requirements to graduate.  Intent to Graduate forms can be found at MYWCC; in the Student Forms box, under Academic Forms.  You may also contact the Counseling, Advising and Transfer Center, STC 2nd floor Sugar Grove campus or call (630) 466-2371

Applying for any Certificate of Achievement: Application for Certificate forms can be found at mywcc; in the Student Forms box, under Academic Forms.  You may also contact the Counseling, Advising and Transfer Center, STC 2nd floor Sugar Grove campus or call (630) 466-2371.

Honors Program
For additional information, visit our Honors Program Web page or contact Dan Ward at (630) 466-7900, ext. 2945.

Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI)
Waubonsee participates in the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI), which eases the transfer process among many Illinois colleges and universities. Discuss your transfer plans with Counseling and the school to which you plan to transfer.

Returning Adults Transition Issues
Returning adult students may need support balancing home, work and college. Counselors are available to discuss problems and explore solutions.

Transfer Information
It is never too early to beginning discussing transfer requirements. Each program should be individually planned with a counselor.

Transferring Credit from Other Schools
Students who wish to transfer credit from other schools must have an official copy of their transcripts sent to the Office of Registration and Records and complete the Transcript Evaluation Request Form process.

Transcript Information
Waubonsee Community College transcript requests are processed through the Office of Registration and Records.

Students do not need a counselor or advisor’s signature to withdraw from a course. However, you are encouraged to consult a counselor or advisor before you complete the paperwork.

For more information
See our Counseling, Advising and Transfer Center page for locations, hours and contact numbers.