Support for Military Students and Veterans

 Military Friendly Logo

Waubonsee is proud to serve those students who have served our country. We are committed to helping veterans as they transition back to civilian and college life. In fact, Waubonsee has continually been named a Military Friendly School by “G.I. Jobs,” the premier magazine for military personnel transitioning into civilian life since 2012. The magazine gives this designation to the top 20 percent of the nation’s colleges, universities and trade schools that are doing the most to embrace service members and veterans as students.

Getting Started At Waubonsee – Veterans
Veterans should follow Waubonsee's Steps to Getting Started. Veterans who wish to gain college credit for their military experience have a few other steps to complete.

Earning Credit for Military Experience
Military Basic Training: Veterans may be granted a total of 4 semester hours of credit as a result of their basic training. Those who apply may obtain credit for health education (3) and physical education (1).

Along with Waubonsee's Request for Evaluation (pdf) form, you must also submit a copy of VA Form DD214, a Separation Record or Certificate of Completion. You can request these from the National Archives.

Military Occupation Training: Veterans may be granted credit as a result of their military training. Training that is not the equal of a Waubonsee Community College course cannot be granted credit. Submit a Waubonsee evaluation form (pdf) only if you think your training would apply to your degree.

A copy of the Joint Services Transcript (JST) or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript must accompany the evaluation request.

Requesting Military Transcripts

Receiving Credit from Other Colleges
Students wanting to transfer credit from another college or university and if you are using federal VA education benefits you are required to complete Waubonsee's Transcript Evaluation Request Form (TERF). An official copy of your transcript must be on file to process the evaluation. The Financial Aid Office will certify one semester without an official review of prior college credit.

Receiving CLEP Credit
Earn a qualifying score on a CLEP exam and earn college credit without taking the course. If you are an eligible veteran, you can receive full reimbursement for a CLEP exam and administration fees from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.  Visit the CLEP website for more information.

For assistance with getting started at Waubonsee, academic advising, benefit and referral information, and the evaluation of military training for college credit, contact the Counseling office.


Heather Watson
Counseling/Veterans Advisor
Sugar Grove Campus
Student Center, Ste 262
(630) 466-7900, ext. 2091