Preparation is the key to success.
Preparing for Placement Testing
It can help if you know a little bit about the format of the test you'll be taking. Waubonsee uses the computer-based COMPASS test to place you into the appropriate English and math courses. Check out some sample COMPASS questions.
Math, English and Reading Skills
Of course, you also have to know the subject areas you'll be tested on, which in this case include math, English and reading. If you need to brush up on your skills in these areas, Waubonsee offers two online programs that can help.
The Plato Program
Plato is a free online program that helps you discover the math, English and reading skills you need to improve. The system then delivers lessons and content designed to strengthen those skills. Before setting up a user account, you must register to gain login credentials. Contact Charlotte Landmeier at (630) 466-7900, ext. 2426 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get set up on Plato.
If you only need to work on your math skills, you can take advantage of the online MyMathTest tutorial. Note that there is a small fee for the program. Learn more about costs and registration procedures for MyMathTest.
General Test-Taking Tips
- Relax! Arrive a few minutes early to locate the Learning Assessment and Testing Services center and restrooms and to "gather your thoughts" before testing.
- Ask questions if you do not understand the testing process. Assessment Specialists are always available to assist students.
- If you need special accommodations, talk to a test proctor who can put you in touch with the college's Access Center for Disability Resources.
- Read each question carefully until you understand what the question is asking.
- Try to respond to all of the items presented, even if you are not certain of the answers.
Sugar Grove Campus,
Collins Hall 161
(630) 466-7900, ext. 2409