Beginning November 7, 2016, Waubonsee Community College will use the ACCUPLACER Sentence Skills, Reading Comprehension, and Math placement tests to determine course placement.
Placement testing is designed to assess your skill levels in English, reading, and mathematics so that you can enroll in the appropriate coursework. Waubonsee uses CollegeBoard's ACCUPLACER suite of assessments, which are untimed, computer-adaptive tests, designed to evaluate students' sills in English, reading, and math. While taking the right courses in high school is the best way to prepare, there are also some testing tips and tricks that can help you do well. The full battery of tests takes about two hours to complete.
Placement testing is available on a walk-in basis at the Sugar Grove, Aurora Downtown, Aurora Fox Valley, and Plano Campuses (see testing center hours). You will need an X-number and valid photo I.D. to test. Read more about our testing policies.
ACCUPLACER Math Placement Test
Students requiring placement into math courses must take an ACCUPLACER Math test. All students will begin by taking the ACCUPLACER Elementary Algebra test. Depending on the results and mathematical skills assessed on this test, students may then be required to take the ACCUPLACER Arithmetic or College-Level Math test. The following list provides a brief description of each ACCUPLACER Math test:
- Elementary Algebra - Comprised of 12 questions, measures your ability to perform basic algebraic operations and to solve problems involving elementary algebraic concepts.
- Arithmetric - Comprised of 12 questions, measures your ability to perform basic arithmetic operations and to solve problems that involve fundamental arithmetic concepts.
- College-Level Math - Comprised of 20 questions, measures your ability to solve problems that involve college-level mathematics concepts.
Please Note: You are not allowed to bring in your own personal handheld calculator. There is an online calculator embedded into the test.
For placement into some college-level math courses, the geometry requirement must also be met. This requirement can be fulfilled by taking the ACCUPLACER Geometry test or through the following transcript review:
- If you earned a "C" or better in high school geometry with 1 full credit and have your official high school transcript on file with Waubonsee's Registration and Records office, please email MathPlacement@waubonsee.edu to have your transcript evaluated. A score of 100 on your student record indicates that you have met the Geometry requirement.
ACCUPLACER Reading Placement Test
- Reading Comprehension — Comprised of 20 questions, measures your ability to understand what you read, to identify main ideas, and to make inferences. You need to distinguish between direct statements and secondary or supporting ideas.
ACCUPLACER English Placement Test
- Sentence Skills — Comprised of 20 questions, measures your understanding of sentence structure - what makes a sentence complete and clear. Some questions deal with the logic of the sentence, and otheres with the relationships between two sentences.
For more information on the ACCUPLACER suite of assessments, please visit accuplacer.collegeboard.org.
You will receive your results upon completion of the test(s) and your scores will also be posted to your personal mywcc portal. To see what courses you are eligible to enroll in, view our Placement Testing Interpretation Guide (pdf). ACCUPLACER scores are valid for 5 years.
You may retest only ONCE, so you may want to take advantage of our test preparation resources before doing so. After waiting at least one week from your original test date, you may retest on a walk-in basis, space permitting. To be allowed to retest, you must arrive at least one hour before the Learning Assessment and Testing Services center closes and pay all applicable fees.
- Sentence Skills Placement $10.00
- Reading Comprehension Placement $10.00
- Arithmetic, Elementary algebra, or College-Level Math Placement $10.00
- Geometry $10.00
ACCUPLACER Score Request
If you completed ACCUPLACER placement testing at Waubonsee Community College within the past 60 months and wish to have an official copy of your scores sent to another institution, please complete the Placement Test Score Release Form and either bring it in to one of our campuses or mail it to the address listed on the form. There is a $10.00 fee for this service. Please contact Learning Assessment and Testing Services at (630) 466-5700 for questions.
Prepare for Placement
Read more about the tips, tools and programs Waubonsee offers to help you do your best on our placement tests.