Current STEM scholars
As a National Science Foundation STEM scholar, you are required to complete or fulfill the following requirements. If these requirements are not fulfilled, your scholarship will be revoked and you will no longer be able to participate in the program:
- New students must complete Waubonsee placement exams and place into college level math and English classes without need of remedial coursework. Qualifying ACT scores may be used in lieu of placement exams. See assessment information.
Current Waubonsee students must successfully complete 24 or more credit hours by the end of each spring semester.
- Maintain full-time status (minimum 12 credit hours per semester) during the fall and spring semesters. You may enroll during the summer semester less than full-time or not at all, as desired.
- Complete your A.S. or A.A.S. degree within 64 semester hours or two academic years, whichever is achieved first.
- Enroll in the Waubonsee classes that are designated as part of the STEM Learning Community in the fall semester.
- Participate in the STEM orientation program at the begining of the fall semester.
- Participate in all required STEM activities, including: monthly meetings with your faculty mentor, at least three STEM extracurricular events per semester, all advising/counseling activities.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA while at Waubonsee.
- Give a 15-minute presentation or a poster on a subject in your STEM discipline. Your presentation will be scored using this rubric. Your presentation will be given at one of the following monthly meetings. Instead of the presentation, you have the option of designing and implementing an independent research project.
- You are also required to submit the following forms to your mentor or David Voorhees, summarized in this checklist of forms to submit for Fall 2013. Copies of these forms are available in VON246.
- Attitude Survey (Fall 2013)
- Midterm progress report for Spring 2014 semester, due by March 12, 2014
- Student-mentor contract for Spring 2014 semester due by February 3, 2014
- Goals worksheet for Spring 2014, due by May 5, 2014
- Signature form for Spring 2014 semester, due by May 5, 2014
- End of Semester evaluation , due by May 5, 2014
STEM scholars are entitled to use VON246. This room is available for your use using a key that you sign out from the office of the Dean for Communications and Library Services, BDE 135. This is a privilge that will be extended as long as is it used with respect. If the room is misused, this privilege will be prompty removed. Faculty mentors will be available for consultation and tutoring at the following times:
- Tuesdays: 11:00 - 12:00 (Voorhees)