Frequently Asked Questions

Below are several common questions asked by prospective Interpreter Training Program applicants. Select each item below to reveal the answer.

What happens if a student fails the entrance tests three times?
If a student fails the ITP entrance exams three times, they can possibly look into a job working with people who are deaf or hard of hearing, but it will not be in an interpreter position.
Where can I get additional information about the program?
You will find additional information about the Interpreter Training Program on our website at www.waubonsee.edu/itp or by contacting our Counseling, Advising and Transfer Center at (630) 466-2361 or (630) 801-7900, ext. 4962 to schedule an appointment with one of our SGN/ITP counselors, Patricia Klonoski or Ulysses Diaz. 
How long is the Interpreter Training Program at Waubonsee?
If you attend classes full time and start in the fall semester, it takes 2 years and 4 months to complete our program. If you have other sign classes or are currently working as an interpreter, this may be shorter. 
Do I have to attend full time?
For the eight classes in the Sign Language portion, you can attend full time or part-time. Once you are accepted into the Interpreter Training Program, you must take these classes in "block" format and be full time. Our classes are designed for people who might have to travel a distance. You will attend classes two days a week, Monday and Wednesday, from 8:30 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.
Where is your program located? Is parking nearby?
Our program is housed in the heart of downtown Aurora at Waubonsee Community College's Aurora Downtown Campus, 18 S. River St. Free student parking is available in Lot W at 201 N. River St. Visit our parking page for more information.
What about National Certification?
National Certification should be the goal of every interpreter. A bachelor's degree is now required to take this exam. It takes a minimum of 3-5 years of experience before a student should consider taking the national certification exam.
What is included on the Interpreter Training Assessment Tests?
You will test in English skills, writing skills, reading comprehension and vocabulary. The total time for the three tests is approximately 2.5 hours. You have to take the tests even if you already took ENG101 and ENG102 and even if you have a bachelor's degree. One of the reasons is that English is the source language for interpreters, and you need to be very skilled to be able to interpret to and from it. Your score needs to be higher than that required by ENG101 entrance (5 points higher on the writing sample). For fee information, see the Learning Assessment Center. 
Can I get proficiency credit for Sign Language classes I have taken?
You can arrange for a proficiency test with one of our ITP faculty members. If you receive credit through proficiency, you will submit paperwork and a fee to Registration and Records to have the credit applied to your WCC transcript. Proficiency credit that is not recorded on your transcripts will not be considered for program acceptance. Please contact Cassie Coburn at ccoburn@waubonsee.edu for more information.
When is it a good idea to complete only the certificates?
If you have a bachelor's degree or an associate's degree in another field, the ITP certificate should be sufficient. 
How do I know if I can get credit for ASL classes taken at another school?
If you have taken sign language classes at another college, you will need to complete a Transcript Evaluation Request Form. You can complete this form online through the mywcc portal. Be sure that your official transcripts are on file with Registration and Records. The transcript review process will determine whether or not you will receive credit. If the class you took transfers to Waubonsee, you do not need to proficiency. If the class you took does not transfer, you will want to meet with Cassie Moore (cmoore@waubonsee.edu) to discuss the option of proficiency credit. 
Why does the program take five semesters?
There are two semesters of SGN courses, two semesters of ITP courses and one semester of practicum. The practicum is where you start working in the field, but you will still take an online class for support.