TRIO/Student Support Services

Welcome to the home page for TRIO/Student Support Services at Waubonsee Community College!

We are pleased that you have chosen to visit our website. There is much to see and explore, as well as information that you may need in order to stay up to date with our programming and activities.

Student Support Services receives most of its funding from the U.S. Department of Education. Due to this, there are criteria that students must meet in order to be served by the program. The criteria are:

  • Be a first generation college student (your parents or parent you reside with, or legal guardian(s) did not receive a four-year college degree) or;
  • Qualify as a low-income student (according to government standards) or;
  • Have a learning or physical disability.

In addition, eligible students will:

  • Have a need for academic support services
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
  • Be admitted to Waubonsee Community College

Student Support Services provides the following services to eligible students:

  • Academic planning, course selection and registration assistance
  • Support in negotiating life's challenges
  • Assistance with applying for financial aid and obtaining scholarships
  • Financial literacy
  • Career exploration and planning transfer advising (for students interested in transferring to a four-year institution)
  • College visits
  • Individual and small-group tutoring*
  • Workshops on a variety of topics
  • Opportunities to attend cultural events
  • Student Leadership Conference

*Walk-in tutoring is available to ALL Waubonsee students, but only Student Support Services participants may receive individual tutoring services.

What will I be expected to do?

  1. Attend classes regularly.
  2. Call or meet with an SSS advisor once a month to stay in touch or before you make a schedule change.
  3. Meet with your SSS advisor before you register for classes each semester.
  4. Attend a minimum of one free workshop or cultural event each year.
  5. Meet regularly with your tutor during the semester, if you have requested one.

What do I need to do to get started?
You will need to complete an application form, which is available via the mywcc portal (requires login using your X-number) or from the SSS Administrative Assistant in the Student Center, Room 262. You must submit the application, including documentation of income, and participate in an interview in order for the SSS staff to determine your eligibility.

After being accepted into the program, you will meet with a Student Support Services advisor (who will also help you set up your academic plan), and attend an orientation session. At that time, if you are interested, you will fill out a tutoring request, or sign up for other services, depending on your needs.


Student Support Services
Sugar Grove Campus
Student Center, Rm. 262
Phone: (630) 466-7900, ext. 5767
Fax: (630) 966-4851

Sandee Jensen, Educational Advisor

Abigail Holder, Academic Advisor

Terri Swanson, Administrative Assistant

Donna Richardson, Tutor Coordinator

Frankie Benson, Manager