Waubonsee Community College does not maintain a public directory of student names and personal information. However, in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, certain student information is categorized as “directory information” and subject to public disclosure. This information includes:
- student’s name
- city of residence
- major field of study
- participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- weight and height of members of athletic teams
- dates of attendance (and withdrawal)
- full- or part-time status
- degrees, certificates and awards received.
This information may be used for such things as enrollment and degree verification, background checks, publicizing academic honors and athletic participation.
Preventing Disclosure of Directory Information
Any individual who does not want the above directory information publicly disclosed shall so inform the Registrar in writing by submitting the Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information form, which is available on mywcc. Please note that students must be currently enrolled to request nondisclosure of their directory information.
Effects of Withholding Your Directory Information
If you request that your directory information NOT be released, any business you wish to conduct at Waubonsee must be done in person with photo identification; information will not be provided to you over the phone or via e-mail. If you are unable to come in person, you may submit a signed and dated written request containing your X-number and date of birth, listing the specific information you’re requesting. We will reply to you in writing, sent to the home address you have on file with the College.
Please be aware of the following circumstances pertaining to a request to prevent disclosure of directory information:
- A third-party, such as an insurance company or a prospective employer, will need to submit your written authorization with each request for information before Waubonsee can release or verify any information about you.
- To avoid non-compliance with or delay in response to requests that require immediate information, you should provide written authorization to any agency, company, employer, etc. with which you have contact.
- College publications or news releases, such as the commencement program or the President’s and Dean’s lists, will not list your name or other information about you.
- Waubonsee assumes no liability as a result of honoring your request that directory information be withheld.
- All requests to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information will be processed within 7-10 days of receipt as follows:
- Each request will remain in effect on a continuing basis until Registration and Records is informed in writing to the contrary by the student or former student.
- This request will NOT prevent Waubonsee from releasing information to the student’s parents if they provide evidence that the student is their dependent.
If you had requested that your directory information be withheld but have now changed your mind, please complete and submit the Retraction of Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information form, which can be found on mywcc.
Registration and Records
Sugar Grove Campus
Student Center, Second Floor
(630) 466-7900, ext. 2370