Dr. Lucile Gustafson was a member of Waubonsee's original Board of Trustees. This scholarship program was established in recognition of her outstanding contributions to education and to the college. Recipients are selected from in-district high schools based on scholastic achievement, leadership and citizenship characteristics.
The Lucile Gustafson Scholarship Application Form (pdf) is available for download. Forms are also available from high school guidance counselors within Waubonsee Community College District 516 and from our Admissions department. Deadline for submission is Feb. 9, 2015. Please check with your high school guidance counselor for earlier deadlines. Student nominees must be nominated by the high school counseling department.
The Gustafson Scholarship covers the full cost of tuition for two academic years. Activity and service fees are also covered, but lab fees and textbooks are not.
- The student nominee must be nominated by a member of the high school counseling department.
- The nominee must be a high school senior who attends a Waubonsee Community College in-district school or vocational center and who is an in-district resident.
- The nominee must meet two of the following criteria:
- Rank in the upper 20 percent of the graduating class
- 3.0 or higher GPA
- 23 or higher ACT score
- The nominee must demonstrate leadership qualities through community or school involvement and citizenship characteristics.
- The scholarship recipient must maintain full-time status (minimum 12 credit hours per semester) during the fall and spring semesters. The scholarship recipient may enroll during the summer semester, less than full-time or not at all, if desired.
- The scholarship recipient must maintain a 2.5 cumulative grade point average.
- The scholarship recipient must complete at least 24 credit hours by the end of the freshman year and 36 credit hours following the fall semester of the sophomore year.
- The Gustafson Scholar is required to perform a minimum of 20 hours of community and college leadership service per semester. The Admissions Department will provide a partial listing of approved college activities and events and volunteer opportunities. Students are responsible for finding activities or events to fulfill their remaining hours of service.
- Scholars must also attend scheduled leadership seminars each semester as determined by the Admissions department.
Each Waubonsee-district high school is eligible to receive one scholarship for every 100 students in the current graduating class. The high school guidance counseling staff should nominate the appropriate number of applicants, plus two additional nominees.
Indian Valley Vocational Center and Fox Valley Career Center are entitled to receive one scholarship each. A total of three nominations will be accepted from each vocational center.
All candidates will be interviewed. Scholarship recipients will be selected based upon the recommendations of the Waubonsee Scholarship Committee.
Selected students will be required to participate in the following events:
- Anytime before April 3, 2015 — Complete Assessment Testing if needed
- Complete the Electronic Registration and Planning (E-RAP) tutorial online through the mywcc portal
- Upon finishing E-RAP, complete your registration worksheet
- April 20 or April 21, 2015 — Gustafson Scholarship overview session
- May 7, 2015 — Gustafson Scholarship Banquet
Sugar Grove Campus
Student Center, 2nd Floor
(630) 466-7900, ext. 2938